Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Whose children have been left behind?

NATIONAL OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN SUMMIT
December 9, 2011
Diane Ravitch
My theme for today: Whose children have been left behind?
Let me tell you a little bit about myself. For many years, I was a strong advocate of testing, accountability, and choice. I worked in three conservative think tanks where these ideas were held sacred. In 1998, I went to Albany, New York, to testify on behalf of charter legislation. At the time I was connected to the conservative Manhattan Institute. I thought that testing would help diagnose the problems that children had and enable teachers to identify their needs. I thought that charters would enroll the kids who had failed in regular public schools or who were not well served by regular public schools. I thought that charters would collaborate with the public schools.

Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts